DIY Face Masks for Pop Culture Fans
Surgical face masks are becoming compulsory so lets have fun with it
*Disclaimer: There’s a few affiliate links within this article because somehow I got to feed my home plant addiction while being furlonged by my employer.
Surgical face masks are being introduced across the world in response to the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping the globe. Some places it is compulsory for every citizen to be wearing face coverings when outdoors whilst others it’s strongly recommended. WHO’s stance on face masks have flip-flopped as this crisis has unfolded but one thing seems quite clear to me. Face masks will become a common accessory from now until the vaccine is ready.
It is looking like a vaccine won’t be ready for up to 18 months even if we find shortcuts to protect our most vulnerable citizens. The behavioural response to this predicament will be face masks being a fashion accessory similar to how many do not live their homes without their watches. This is an opportunity for pop culture fans to turn this functionally necessary piece of clothing into a personalised fashion item similar to customised phone cases.
Turning your anime merchandise into face masks
This post will walk you through how you can convert your anime t-shirts or scarves into DIY face masks. I’m sure there will be official pop culture face masks coming soon but in the meantime making your own wouldn’t hurt and offers you more options to choose from.
You can watch this 45 second video on how to make a face mask out of a t-shirt or scarf.
There are a few benefits of converting your favourite geek/pop culture merchandise into face coverings.
- You dictate the style of face covering
- It is easier to wash your face coverings than throwing away disposable ones or expensive face masks
- It’s more environmentally friendly than using the disposable ones
- Comfortable depending on material used
My Favourite Anime Clothing to be Converted into Face Masks
I’ve picked the pattern based anime scarves and t-shirts to be converted into face coverings. This is because patterns give you more flexibility in terms of adjusting your face mask. It’s better than spending a lot of time trying to squeeze on the design in the exact spot you want.
Top 20 Anime Scarves from your favourite series
Note: The best thing with buying a whole scarf is you can cut it into 2–3 face coverings to get more value for your hard earned cash.
- Naruto Akatsuki Red Cloud Pattern Scarf
- Demon Slayer Tanjirou Kamado Haori Pattern Scarf
- Demon Slayer Zenitsu Agatsuma Haori Pattern Scarf
- Demon Slayer Giyuu Tomioka Multi-Pattern Scarf
- Demon Slayer Giyuu Tomioka Two-Pattern Scarf
- Demon Slayer Nezuko Kamado Dress Pattern Scarf
- Demon Slayer Shinobu Kocho Poison Pillar Pattern
- My Hero Academia Colourful Miniture Cartoon Doodle Scarf
- My Hero Academia Coloured Mini Characters Scarf
- Fairy Tail Cat Faces Pattern Scarf
- Popular Japanese Food Scarf
- Sushi Time! — Pattern Scarf
- Yugi-Oh Card Pile Pattern Scarf
- Studio Ghibli Totoro Soot Sprites Pattern Scarf
- Haikyuu Faces Karasuno Team Scarf
- Digimon Faces Pattern Scarf
- Sailor Moon Pixel Art Pattern Scarf
- Sailor Moon Wands Pixel Art Diagonal Style Scarf
- Anime Inspired Eyes Pattern Scarf
- Pokemon Balls Pattern Scarf
- All You Can Eat — Japanese Food Pattern Scarf